calloocallay and soupkills were kind enough to open their homes to we Cablevision orphans for the Academy Awards last night. I made a devil's food cake with golden caramel-coconut frosting for the occasion. Somehow I wasn't feeling the twitter during the show, not sure why, but here are a few thoughts:
- My favorite thing, for those of you who haven't been to LA, is that the Kokak Theater is in a mall. Their are chain stores on either side of that grand staircase
- I love every single thing that Gabby Sidibe did all night long, from working it on the stage at the beginning to enjoying the moment of being a nominee near the end.
- So NPH sang to open three out of the four major awards shows this year, and was brilliant every time. Love the shiny jacket.
- I thought Alec and Steve were hilarious. Of course, Steve is my dream man, so there's that, but still. Also the shout out to Turner & Hooch as a classic comedy pair because the Turner & Hooch joke actually never gets old.
- Haha, Clooney's whole stonefaced schtick was hilarious, though I'm sad that so many people took it seriously. New Nicholson, y/y?
- I didn't miss the best songs. Back in the day they didn't let the original artists sing—I remember Phil Collins didn't sing "Against All Odds"; it was
like, some Vegas chickAnn Reinking! Who is an amazing dancer, but isn't really a singer.
- The John Hughes tribute reminds me that people my age are rather powerful in that town, which is weird to think of!
- Quentin also entertained me all night long, from his enthusiastic reaction to that silly horror package to his presentation of the foreign language film. Also: ALMODÓVAR!
- Classy single men take their mother or their daughter to the Oscars.
- Speaking of which, I was intrigued by the way they chose people to present the best picture noms, so often folks who had worked with the director in the past.
- That costume designer winner was fabulous. LOVED her dress, her whole look, but also loved what she had to say about people rewarding the contemporary costumes for once as well as the period stuff.
- I was really pleased with all the winners. We did all let up some big shouts when Bigelow and then The Hurt Locker won.